To prevent the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), the State of Alaska is issuing its ninth health mandate based on the authority under the Public Health Disaster Emergency Declaration signed by Governor Mike Dunleavy on March 11, 2020.
Given the increasing concern for new cases of COVID-19 around Alaska, Governor Dunleavy and the State of Alaska are issuing the following mandate to go into effect March 24, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
The purpose of this mandate is to limit all close contacts (people outside of a family unit) to be farther than six feet from each other to prevent the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.
Mandate 9.1 – State of Alaska – Personal Care Services and Gatherings
- All businesses, congregations, or gatherings in the State of Alaska, where individuals are within six feet of each other must stop all operations. This includes:
- Hair salons
- Day spas and esthetics locations
- Nail salons
- Barber shops
- Tattoo shops
- Body piercing locations
- Massage therapy locations
- Tanning facilities
- Additionally, no gatherings of more than 10 people may take place, and if a gathering does take place people must be six feet apart from each other.
- This Mandate prohibits the delivery of services in any of the above business locations by individuals holding licenses issued by the Board of Barbers and Hairdressers and Board of Massage Therapists.
- This Mandate prohibits operations for rolfing, reiki, acupuncture, acupressure, and similar services.
- This Mandate prohibits licensed massage therapist services spas.
- This Mandate prohibits business operations to continue at tanning facilities.
- The prohibitions in this Mandate apply to services that may be delivered in the customer’s home or in the home of the licensee.
- This order shall take effect March 24, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. and remain in full force and effect until the Governor rescinds or modifies the order.
This mandate does not include urgent, and emergent health care needs, nor health care facilities; however, health care facilities must do risk assessment screening prior to entering the facility.