April 13, 2020 — The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) today announced five new cases of COVID-19 in two Alaska communities – Anchorage (4) and Juneau (1). This brings the total case count in Alaska to 277.
These new cases were reported from 12:00 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. on April 12 and reflect data posted at noon today on coronavirus-response-alaska-dhss.hub.arcgis.com.
Of the new cases, two are male and three are female. One is aged 10-19; one is aged 20-29; one is aged 30-39; one is aged 40-49 and one aged 60-69. There have been 32 total hospitalizations and eight deaths with one new hospitalization and no new deaths yesterday.
The new positive Juneau case is a staff member working at Lemon Creek Correctional Center (LCCC) in Juneau. This is the third Lemon Creek staff member who has tested positive for the virus. In addition, a new case from results that came in today is also an employee of Lemon Creek Correctional. Due to reporting protocols, the newest case won’t be counted in state numbers until tomorrow.
The City and Borough of Juneau issued a press release about these LCCC cases today.
There are no known cases among inmates. Department of Corrections (DOC) is monitoring inmates and other staff closely for symptoms, and Public Health Nurses are working collaboratively with DOC to test additional staff and continue daily monitoring of exposed staff.
- Find more information about how to keep yourself and your family healthy at the DHSS webpage, coronavirus.alaska.gov
- Visit the governor’s webpage on COVID-19 at gov.alaska.gov/covid19news
- Visit ready.alaska.gov/covid19 on the Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Management webpage for Unified Command information, community press releases and other documents.
United States Response
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention leads the U.S. response.
- The World Health Organization guides the global response.
Questions about COVID-19?
- For general questions and assistance, please call 2-1-1.
- For the general public, questions regarding DHSS COVID response, including mandates and alerts, can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health care providers should direct clinical questions to the Section of Epidemiology.
- For DHSS media inquiries, please contact Clinton.Bennett@alaska.gov.