CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS PRESS RELEASE: Of the new cases, one is under the age of 10 and one is aged 60-69.
April 23, 2020 — The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) today announced two new cases of COVID-19 in Anchorage. This brings the total case count in Alaska to 337.
These new cases were reported from 12:00 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. on April 22 and reflect data posted at noon today on coronavirus-response-alaska-dhss.hub.arcgis.com.
Of the new cases, both are male and under the age of 10. There have been a total of 36 hospitalizations and nine deaths with no new hospitalizations or deaths reported yesterday. Recovered cases now total 209, including 13 new recovered cases recorded yesterday.
As Alaska begins the process of gradually reopening, increasing the number of people being tested for COVID-19 is as important as ever. Testing capacity has recently increased and sites are now available in most communities across the state.
“We are encouraging anyone who is experiencing even mild symptoms of COVID-19 to isolate themselves immediately and call a local health care provider for a referral to get tested,” said Alaska’s State Epidemiologist Dr. Joe McLaughlin. “The initial symptoms are often mild, and can include any combination of the following: fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, diminished sense of taste or smell, diarrhea, fatigue, headache, muscle/joint aches, nausea, rash, runny nose, or sore throat.”
- More information about COVID-19 testing can be found online at: dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pages/COVID-19/testing.aspx.
- The DHSS testing site locator is available at: coronavirus-response-alaska-dhss.hub.arcgis.com/app/2d92b77bc8044329a1ee3954b063bd8c
Questions about COVID-19?
- For general questions and assistance, please call 2-1-1.
- For the general public, questions regarding DHSS COVID response, including mandates and alerts, can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Data questions can be sent to email@example.com
- For DHSS media inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.